Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Bahraini food and the veggie man

I got an e mail the other day asking me about Bahraini cuisine. Now, not having been here that long I don't know a great deal about Bahraini food. To me, it looks a similar situation to the UAE: Lebanese food and the famous Gulf biriani, seasoned rice cooked with raisins, nuts and saffron with a roast lamb sitting on the top. I enjoyed some Bahraini biriani this Eid, I especially love the roasted tomatoes that sit in the mix.

Then there's the pickles. Al Jazeera Pickles do a fantastic range of pickles and chutneys, my favourite is the Bahraini Lemon Pickle. You can find them in most supermarkets and they go great with curries, in sandwhiches and erm, in birianis.

In the last few weeks since the weather has been cool, a man has set up a vegetable stand just round the corner from my home. He's dropped off in the morning and stays there until the afternoon, selling his fresh veg to passing customers. I never saw this in my five years in the UAE and I have to say I think its a great idea. I really appreciate being able to walk two minutes down the road and buy a selection of fresh veg. No excuse not to eat the stuff anymore!
He's produce is fresh, tasty and reasonably priced too.

1 comment:

Ammaro said...

in terms of bahraini food, yes, it has a lot of influence from all aspects of the surrounding region. you have biryani and machboos (two different types of rice with chicken/meat/fish), you have the harees, theres thereed (bread in some sort of sauce). but theres also your neighborhood tikka store. try bahraini tikka; i didnt know this was strictly bahraini but recently i realized the countries around us dont have it. amazing stuff.